.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Drake Talks Honoring Michael Jackson, Tipping His Hat To dead prez On “Over”



“I also do this thing in the song ['Over'] where I flip Dead Prez,” he said of his tip of the hat to the duo’s “It’s Bigger Than Hip-Hop” from their classic 2000 debut, Let’s Get Free. “They say, ‘One thing about music when it hits you feel no pain/ White folks say it controls your brain/ I know better than that/ It’s just game.’ I love that flow,” Drake explained. “So I took that flow and flipped it in the second verse.”

But Drake doesn’t just nod to DP on the track; the Toronto MC pays tribute to the greatest artist ever, Michael Jackson. Since this week marks the one-year anniversary of his death, it’s only right we let Drizzy chime in on his stellar MJ reference:

“That was sort of my reference point; that phenomenon of Michael,” he said. “He was young and had the world excited and anticipating his every move. That was my homage to him and the impact that he had on the world that I live in. It’s also … great for people to say. Especially, unfortunately what happened to him, just to honor him was great.” ~ MTV

No comments:

Post a Comment